Friday, January 4, 2008

Back to Nicaragua!

Right now I'm supposed to be in 85 degree, sunny weather gloating about all of you poor folks back in snowy, freezing Nebraska...but instead I have the opportunity to be here for a few more hours absorbing the bone-chilling cold.

I found out on Monday (12-31) that I am supposed to be in Managua by Monday 1-7. My flight out was this morning from Eppley to Atlanta and into Managua. But, after arriving at the airport at 3:30 am, waiting for 2 hours to board, and getting on the plane it was determined that there was a mechanical issue onboard the aircraft and that we had to get off the plane. Initially, there was a chance that the problem would be fixed and we would only have a delayed flight, but luck was not on my side and the plane never left Omaha. After I waited until 8:15 to talk with the Peace Corps travel agency and I was finally able to get up to the airline counter, it became apparent that there was no way to get to Managua before dark today. So, tomorrow the whole adventure begins again with the same 5:40 flight to Atlanta and then on to Managua - hopefully with a functional plane this time. The only advantage is that I was able to convince the airline to hold my 90 pounds of luggage (2 suitcases) so that I didn't have to haul it home and back again.

The extra time gave me a chance to get some sleep (I've only had a couple of hours over the past few days) and clean the trash out of my car so it can be sold.

I'll update everybody once I land safely and have a chance to use the internet.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Congratulations, Sara! We're really happy that you'll be back... now you'll have to come visit Masaya soon. :)