Monday, February 18, 2008

Ready to go...

I guess that I got a bit ahead of myself in the last e-mail. I didn't realize that organizing 1500 students into classes of 50 each in order of age was all done (essentially) by 4 people. Needless to say, the first week at the high school was chaotic with students in the wrong grades or at the wrong time of day and teachers with more than one class at the same time. Now, things are smoothed out and it looks like I'll be observing the classes that I'll be working with until the end of first semester in June. Next week, I'll probably begin co-teaching with the two teachers that I'll be working with.

In the meantime, since I haven't been teaching/working much at the high school (just observing a few classes) I have been working with a Canadian woman who is giving classes to 6 university teachers from all subject areas and 10+ high school English teachers. The classes are primarily designed to improve pronunciation and to give the teachers a chance to converse in English.

Outside of work...I have found a true friend in my host sister and we spend evenings chatting or watching telenovelas. My host family also introduced me to a single, trustworthy, male neighbor and he asked me out the next time we met (and I accepted). We'll see what the future has in store.

I don't have any pictures of my site yet...My camera is on loan right now, but when I get it back I promise that I'll make an effort to upload a few pictures of the city that I live in.

My hour is up at the internet cafe...I'll write more when I have access again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sara! I'm glad to hear things are going so well. It will be nice to see some pictures when you get your camera back :) Let me know how things are going. It is interesting to hear how schools in other countries are organized.

Bree H.